Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Defender wants Reds' game-time

Fit-again Martin Kelly hopes to force his way back into Brendan Rodgers' first team but will bide his time in the Under-21s for now. Kelly was given a 90-minute run out in the U21s 4-2 win over Manchester United on Monday and the centre-back impressed in the game as he continues to build up his match sharpness. The 23-year-old is highly-rated by Rodgers and, as long as he stays fit, should provide cover at right-back and in the centre of defence this season. Kelly says he wants to get as many games as possible under his belt in the next few weeks as he hopes to eventually break back into the first team. "It was good to get the first 90 minutes under my belt after so long," Kelly told the club's website. "I played last week in a behind closed doors friendly but to get 90 minutes for the U21s was superb for me and my fitness." He added: "I just want to get as many games in as I can. I missed so much last season and it's difficult mentally coming back from 11 months out and knowing you are not where you were last pre-season, because I started the last pre-season flying and that's where I want to get back to. "It's all the hard work that starts now and in the next six to eight weeks I should get back to that fitness."  

No comments:

Post a Comment