Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Liverpool’s Daniel Agger hopes to emulate Steven Gerrard’s leadership

Liverpool vice-captain Daniel Agger says he wants to emulate Steven Gerrard's style of leadership
steven gerrard
Steven Gerrard turned 33 back in MayPhoto: Back Page Images

Daniel Agger says he wants to emulate the leadership of long-term Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.

The Denmark international was named as Gerrard’s second-in-command after Jamie Carragher announced his retirement from professional football at the end of the 2012/13 campaign.
Agger, who joined the Reds from Brondby in 2006, heaped praise on the 33-year-old for his handling of the captaincy role and insisted he would look to follow Gerrard’s example.
“I always have responsibility, no matter if you’re vice-captain or not. You have to always be there, always be at the front and, of course, try to help some of the young players,” Agger told Liverpool’s website.
“Now I have been here for almost eight years and Stevie has been the captain all the way. He is an amazing captain: he is the one I will look at.
“Not only in his football skills, because that speaks for itself, but the person he is and the way he treats people – he’s just the best.”
Agger added that his experience of captaining Denmark will prove useful after taking up his new role at the 18-time English champions.
“It’s the same in every single football team, in every single job – when somebody goes, somebody new has to take over.
“It has been like that forever. So there’s nothing new there. Over the years, the players have changed a lot.
“So, of course, when you stay at one club for so long you become one of the senior players – even though it’s a difficult word to say because I still feel the same as eight years ago.
“When I play for Denmark and I’m the captain for Denmark, I’ve learned a lot in the last 10 years of my career.
“I’m trying to take the best part of all the good things, also from Stevie, and put it together in the way I want to do it. I think that’s the best way to describe that.
“It’s the biggest thing you can achieve at international level, being captain of your country. Every time I put that armband on, it makes me proud.
“You learn something all the time and when you put that armband on, something happens to you. It’s difficult to describe but it’s a good thing.” 

FIND US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE LFC NEWS AND TROLLS !  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment